Friday, December 10, 2010

Renovations update

How time flies! I mentioned quite a few weeks ago that we were about to tackle the living room renovations, and we are only a couple of weeks from Christmas so it is race against the time to have it finished.

Here are some before pictures:



It is a nice, large room with the high ceiling, but it had a lot of problems. There was a raising damp on one of the walls (see the corner there), outdated fittings and lots of holes above the windows. I sometimes think that the previous owner perhaps used a machine gun to make holes for the curtain rods :).

So far, the windows are white, holes are filled in, the old ceiling fan is gone and the fireplace looks awesome. The floor tiles have to remain for a while even though I hate them with passion.

Bella lends a hand!


I think this space was rather hip in the '70s when the house was built. It had ceiling mounted speakers, a bar in the corner, a funky shaggy carpet and the saloon doors and all in the super hip orange, yellow and mission brown. Groovy baby!

We've decided on a more up to date look with the enclosed gas fireplace, nice billowy curtains, and the walls in Dulux Antique White USA. I'm also thinking wheat, chocolate and charcoal with hints of red and aqua. Here are some inspirational images (sorry, I don't know the source for some of them).

unknown source

Pottery Barn ?

Pottery Barn

unknown

unknown


Vicente Wolf

Keep well
Maja


3 comments:

  1. Good to see things are coming along. Have missed you, but know you have been busy. Some gorgeous inspirational pics. The fireplace looks great. Look forward to seeing the finished room. Hope you have a lovely Christmas.
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see how things are coming together for your living room. Your inspirational pictures are really lovely! I can't wait to see how it goes! Have a beautiful day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting seeing it all starting to take shape. I love the second and third inspriation pics, I have this thing for painted wooden planks at the moment!

    In regards to your question in my comments, of course rereading counts! A lot of my reading during school term is rereading because if I start a new book I have trouble putting it down to go to sleep. I also enjoyed the Bridei Chronicles, have read them a few times now :) Don't forget to sign your blog up so people can come visiting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails